- Be organized. I can't stress this enough. If you're a new couponer, especially, you'll want to be organized with all your coupons and scenarios. Ideas for being organized include getting a coupon binder or coupon file. Use whatever works for you. Also, either write down your scenarios step by step (*hint*: look on Dapper Deals!) OR if you have a smartphone, just open up the mobile site of Dapper Deals for easy access. If you forget what coupons to use, just look at your list.
- In addition to the things listed above to being organized, make sure you do your math. Yes, couponing requires some basic math. Once, you got that down, you'll be fine. Bring your phone with a calculator or a basic calculator. I've actually had to pull out my phone at the register to show a cashier that my total DID reach $10. It's like evidence when checking out with coupons sometimes ;)
- Stick to one or two stores at most. With couponing, it can be overwhelming, so starting off with just one main store or two if you can handle it is my best suggestion. Trying to coupon at too many stores at once will add on to the stress from just simple couponing. Once you get the hang of it, add more stores!
- The easiest stores to coupon at may be your perfect starting place as a new couponer. Walmart is easy as it only accepts manufacturer coupons, no store coupons usually. If you're comfortable, add on Ibotta app rebates and Savings Catcher. Target has both store coupons and manufacturer coupons, so that can get a bit confusing. Look up store policies and see which seems easiest to you, and stick with it!
- As always, I say that couponing should be fun! If it seems like too much of a burden, take a break. But trust me, once you get the hang of it, couponing is easy and most of all, helps you save SO much money! It's a WIN-WIN!
Thought I'd share a few more tips for all you new couponers out there! Yes, couponing can be stressful at first, but I guarantee you it's worth it! You can save SO much money!
All about Me
Hey, it's Jane - I'm 20 years old, and I started this deals blog back in May 2014. I love saving money, and I hope you do too, cause you're in the perfect place. Enjoy!
Be sure to follow Dapper Deals on Instagram & Twitter for the best deals!